Wednesday, May 18, 2016

What a difference a day makes



A day (slightly drizzly – nothing you’d call actual rain) and a half (slightly busy with other things) spent indoors. When I go down to the garden yesterday afternoon, I can’t believe what’s been happening.



There are, quite undeniably, pears growing on the pear tree. How exciting is that? (Okay, okay, I know there’s a long way to go before I get a pear crumble out of this tree, but still. Pretty fucking exciting as far as I’m concerned.)



The California lilac has burst into bloom and is absolutely buzzing with bees.



You’ll have to take my word for it (as they are apparently camera shy), but there really were at least twenty bees sucking the nectar out of these flowers when I took the photo.


Lots of strawberries have started to appear. This is going to be a great crop – especially as (touch wood) the netting means most of them are for me and not for the birds.

Less good news elsewhere.


So much for my recent excitement that peas were starting to appear. Some have, but only four out of dozens planted. It’s possible the birds got to the seeds. It’s also possible the seeds (third year in a “good for three years” packet) were actually past their sell by date. More seeds will need to be purchased and planted. Peas now well behind schedule. Sigh.

The beets are still coming along nicely and I think (although it may be wishful thinking) that I spy with my little eye some carrot leaves starting to appear. (And as they do, I suddenly ask myself why the hell I planted them in the shallower end of the raised bed. Doh.)

Four squash plants have sprouted. No idea if they’re acorn or scaloppini. (Should have made a note of which I planted where. Time will tell.

No sign so far of any lettuce, rocket or spinach. Too soon to give up on these? Nah. Ever the optimist me.

No comments:

Post a Comment