Across the
road at Pat’s, in addition to his two heavily lilac-laden trees, his
heavenly-scented rhododendron is in full bloom. In fact, rhododendrons are
flowering all over the island – except in my back yard. I’m putting this down
to the lack of sun back there. After all, the California lilacs in the back
flower much later than the one in the garden, so why not?
This looks like it's going to flower, doesn’t it? (Doesn’t it? she repeats
plaintively.)
I thought
so, but then I realised these are simply new leaves, not flowers. Bollocks.
Nearing the
end of rehearsals for Will Shakespeare The Panto, which I directed in 2014, BJ, one of the longstanding panto cast members,
looked at me and asked, “What about the children?” To which I replied: “What
about them? I’m letting them in, am I not? What more do they want?” BJ pointed
out that there was no point in the script assigned to giving sweets to the rug
rats. Apparently simply allowing them to attend wasn’t enough. They needed
sweets. “Fine,” I said, “you can hand out sweets during the Act One finale*.”
Sheesh. Anyone would think that pantos were children’s
entertainment. (To avoid a similar debate the following year, I deliberately
included handing out sweets in the script. Personally, I still think it’s
bloody pandering.)
![]() |
| * Act One finale: A rousing version of Always Look on the Bright Side of Life. |
Dave, our director, and his wife Jan have dozens (nay, scores) of beautifully flowering rhododendrons scattered around their property. I mention my two rhododendrons showing no sign of wanting to flower, proffering my theory that they’ve been slowed down by lack of sun. Dave looks at me and asks, “What are you feeding them?” I stare back at him blankly. Feeding them? What is he talking about? No one told me rhododendrons had to be provided with slap up meals. “Erm,” I mutter. “I water them.” Surely that’s enough? Au contraire. Apparently, in addition to sun and water, they need food. I see.
Fortunately
for me, Rhodo Dave has lots of
rhododendron food. He sends me home after rehearsal with a supply.
And he tells me I might want to give my only-ever-flowered-once lilac some
of the same food – if I would like it
to ever flower again. Well, erm, yes, I would rather like that. (I am, of
course, immediately suspicious about the year the lilac did actually flower.
Krys was here alone with it for three weeks while I was in England. Had she
been cooking four-course meals for the lilac? It begins to seem highly likely.
How sneaky was that? And this, of course, is much more comforting than my
previous theory that the lilac liked her, but doesn’t like me.)
So, this
morning both rhododendrons and both lilacs have been fed. Dave, bless him,
realising how completely hapless a gardener I am, promises to remind me when
the next feeding is required.
Now that I
have learnt the error of my ways, I confidently predict that this time next
year my rhododendrons and lilacs will look just like Pat’s.
Just
kidding. (I can dream, can’t I?)

No comments:
Post a Comment