In April I
took this dispiriting photo.
The purple
tulips which had come back nicely the last two (or possibly three) years, this
spring managed to produce nothing but limp leaves. (And, oh, dear, that window
really needs washing.)
Time,
methought, to change things up a bit.
I dug out
all the tulip bulbs (to be dried out and transferred in the autumn to the
garden) and replaced them in this and the kitchen window boxes with
bee-friendly lavender, which will not need to be replaced every year. The
hanging baskets would get flowers at some point.
When
Catherine was here earlier this week, I spotted a hummingbird when we were
sitting outside with our morning coffees and fags. Oh, right, I thought. I was
going to get a hummingbird feeder. No time like the present.
On our way
down to Drumbeg, I stop at Wheelbarrow. Turns out they don’t sell hummingbird
feeders, but that’s okay. Good chance to pick up a couple of Osteospermum (“Tradewinds
Deep Purple”) and some lobelia (white and blue) for the hanging baskets.
After a
lovely walk (and selfie) at Drumbeg, we drive back via Wild Rose, the other
nursery. I know they have hummingbird
feeders, because I’ve seen them there.
I am of
course immediately drawn to the blue glass feeder. Why wouldn’t I be? It’s cobalt blue glass. (Hello? Have you met
me?) Catherine immediately dismisses it, pointing out there is a reason most
feeders are red: hummingbirds are attracted to the colour red.
And, yes, I
know this is true.
A few years
ago a hummingbird got in the house. First I heard its wings humming, then I
heard it whacking itself against the skylight in an attempt to escape. The back
door, through which it had flown, was wide open, but the bird didn’t seem to be
aware of this. I opened all the windows wide to increase the number of
potential exits, but the bird still mistakenly thought the skylights were the best
escape route. Eventually I had to go to the village to do some shopping, so
took a chance and left the back door wide open when I did. Looked around when I
returned and thought the bird had figured out how to leave, but I was wrong.
Humming wings started up again, along with skylight whacking. Gah! How was I
ever going to get the poor thing out of the house? Rang Pat on the off chance
that he would have a helpful suggestion. He didn’t, but his visiting friend
Margaret did: hang an article of red clothing by the open door. Fantastic
suggestion, except I don’t own an article of red clothing. Would anything red
do? Yes, said Margaret. Right, I thought, what do I own that’s red? The washing
bucket! Of course! Dug it out from under the sink and placed it by the open
door. Five minutes later the hummingbird flew out of the house.
So, okay,
yeah, I get it. As much as I may want
a cobalt blue hummingbird feeder, it ain’t gonna draw a crowd.
There is
also a red glass version of the same feeder, but it turns out the bottom does
not unscrew, so the feeder cannot be properly cleaned. “It must,” claims the shop
manager. He tries. It doesn’t. Nor do the bottoms of my third and fourth choice.
(Is the manager, I wonder, going to point these design faults out to future
buyers?) So we try a fifth. Eureka! It unscrews for proper cleaning.
As we pay
for the feeder (and some basil it will soon be safe to plant outside),
Catherine tells me to use cane sugar for the nectar, never beet. The shop
manager says he thinks either is fine. Not so, says Catherine, and of course she is right.
Back at the
house, I can’t wait to get going. Made-in-China feeder is given a proper wash
and rinse. The packet of made-in-China "instant nectar" is put to one side. (The mind boggles.) Catherine tells me I should boil a cup of cane sugar in four cups of
water. I look at the feeder. There’s no way it will hold four cups of nectar.
Catherine looks at me and says nothing. I boil half a cup of sugar in two cups
of water. When it’s taking too long to cool, I stick it in the fridge. We have
lunch. I check the nectar. Perfect temperature. Pour it into the holder. It
fills less than half of it. I look at Catherine. She smiles. Of course she is
right. Lesson learnt.
A cup hook,
length of string and a couple of S hooks are assembled and the feeder is
attached.
Whilst
waiting for the hummingbirds to arrive, I plant the flowers in the hanging
baskets.
The next
morning, after Catherine leaves, I get around to washing the back windows. The
nectar appears to be going down, but I’ve yet to see a hummingbird.
By the next
day the word’s apparently gone round the ’hood.
One visitor conveniently
turns up as I take this photo to illustrate the improvements since that first
April photo. Can’t see her?
Try this
photo.
I am
thrilled to report things are humming along nicely.


Job well done Holmes!
ReplyDeleteWhy, thank you, ma'm.
ReplyDelete