It’s the
Victoria Day long weekend and everyone on Gabriola knows what that means.
But before
we get to that, shall we take a minute to ask why Canada, in the 21st
century, has a public holiday honouring a 19th century prudish,
colonialist British monarch? No idea? No, neither do I.
A couple of
years ago a group of Canadian notables petitioned
the Harper government to change the name of the holiday to “Victoria and First
Peoples Day”. I hated the name, although I applauded the sentiment. On
reflection, I do like the name, marrying as it does the name of the woman in
whose name treaties were made and broken with the people whose land was stolen
and culture almost obliterated. Of course, this suggestion was never going to
fly with bizarrely anglophile Harper. Perhaps it’s time to propose the idea of
a name change to the new Prime Minister. (And if he disagrees, suggest taking
it outside.) Failing that, how about making National Aboriginal Day –
which is also happily the first day of summer – a national holiday and day of
atonement?
Anyway, what
the Victoria Day weekend means on Gabriola is the official opening of the
farmers market at the Agi Hall. And this means the lovely lady whose name I can
never remember (but I think might be
Linda) will be there selling her wonderful tomato plants. Which means it’s time
to get going on the cherry tomatoes!
The market
is heaving when I arrive. I clock that the lovely lady is there, then have a
quick wander around. The market operators have stated that this year there will
be a lot more actual food, compared to the tables selling crystals, tie-dyed
apparel and other hippie dippie extravagances. Hmm. There is definitely more
produce than there has been in past years, but I think the volume of New Age
product is still considerably higher. Unless the tie-dyed apparel is actually
being grown in fields, it’s still not clear to me why this is called a farmers
market.
Never mind.
The artisans need somewhere to flog their wares. Makes no odds to me. The stall
I want is there. I head back to it.
When I arrive I overhear some terrible news: The lovely lady is moving to
Nanaimo. This is going to be her first and last
appearance of the year at the market. Thank goodness I came today.
I ask about
cherry tomatoes and she points me towards the large selection of pots behind
the stall. I go to investigate. My goodness. They’re huge! I’m almost certain her tomato plants aren’t usually this tall
this early in the year.
Two years
ago, after fucking Bambo got into the garden and ate the tops of all the
profusely flowering red cherry tomato plants, I bought a couple of yellow
cherry tomato plants (all she had left by then) from her. The plants turned out
to be prolific and the tomatoes turned out to be delicious.
So delicious
that last year I bought another yellow cherry tomato plant from her. Not quite
as much success.
Whatever
variety these fairly large tomatoes were, they were not yellow cherries. Still, not a complete loss. Not being a big
fan of large tomatoes for eating, I did end up making my first ever batch of
tomato sauce, which was very tasty.
Despite last
year’s not yellow cherry tomato mix
up, I decide to take a chance again and purchase one purportedly yellow tomato
plant and two reds. Time will tell what I actually have in these pots.
This
afternoon, however, was merely overcast. Fine for planting and staking the
tomato plants. Oh, and what’s this? After the plants are in their pots and have
been watered, the sun actually comes out.
Clearly I
need to go into the house, make a cup of tea and return to the garden with the
paper, in order to spend some quality time on the garden swing with Stella.
After a few
minutes I realise something may not be quite right. The buzzing from the
California lilac does not seem anywhere near as loud as it did this time last
year. Is it my imagination (oh, lord, I hope it is) or are there substantially
fewer bees buzzing around the blossom?
I
come back into the house and check the “buzzing” blog entries from previous
years. Both seem to be from early June. Perhaps the word hasn’t got out to the
wider bee population yet.
Oh, lord, I hope that’s what it is.
Here in Quebec, this long weekend holiday is Jour des Patriotes. And it is the official first day of gardening. You're way ahead of us, obviously, but we've put in our time this weekend. Also have a cherry tomato plant (Tiny Treats! I couldn't resist the name!) - we shall see how it does. It's living out front, where there is full sun. As long as we manage to remember to water EVERY FUCKING DAY surely it should be ok.
ReplyDeleteYep, they do need water.
ReplyDelete