As reported last month, the roses are coming back nicely. Most of the bushes have buds on
them.
Some are
almost ready to burst into flower. Hurrah!
I want to
give them as much encouragement as possible, which means surrounding them (and
the lilac, which has now had its first dose of Dave’s magic “make flowers” cocktail) with compost and/or sea soil. What I don’t want is the compost and/or sea
soil being sprayed all over the rest of the slanting bed when I water them.
I know! I’ll
make rock circles around them to keep the good stuff where it needs to be.
I survey my
handiwork. It’s okay and it should do the job, but I’m just not quite sure. I
go inside, make myself a cuppa and come back for another look. Nope. Just looks
like a job half done. And it’s not as if I have any shortage of rocks,
is it?
Much better. Settle myself on the swing with Stella to admire my rocky rose bed.
Oh, that smug feeling of a job well (rather than half) done.
Elsewhere in
the garden: Came back into the house Monday morning after watering the garden to report thrilling news to my visiting
friend Catherine: the regular peas are
sprouting! She shares my excitement. It is after all what we gardeners
(both proper and useless like me) live for, is it not?
This morning
there is further excitement. Despite the fact that one of the cats (my money’s
on Roxie) keeps trying to use the veggie bed as a litter box, a row of beet leaves has appeared! No
sign yet of carrots, lettuce, spinach, rocket or squash, but it’s still early
days, isn’t it? (Or isn’t it?)
Fingers
crossed.
No comments:
Post a Comment