“What about
the netting?” he asks. I tell him it’s already attached. “Wow,” he says, “you
don’t waste time.” Do I detect a note of admiration in his voice? Possibly.
(Possibly not.) He says he is off island today, but can pop round tomorrow.
That’s fine. There is plenty else to keep me busy in the garden, because the
plumber was here yesterday.
What, you
may ask, does this have to do with anything? I’ll tell you.
I have a
wonderful plumber. If he comes over and discovers there’s a quick fix to the
problem (as is sometimes the case), he doesn’t even charge me. Then there are
the times when there is no quick fix, as was the case four years ago when I
fried the pump. (My fault entirely, as I’d failed to turn the hose off after
watering the garden.) I asked him how much it would be to replace the pump. He
told me it would be about $1000. When he saw the look of horror on my face, he
said he’d see if he could find a reconditioned pump. Final cost: $200. (As I
said, I have a wonderful plumber.)
Several
weeks ago I rang to tell him the well pump sounded as if it was going into
overdrive when I ran water for more than a minute. “Uh, oh,” he said (echoing
my own thoughts). Then I said the magic words: “So I switched over to the
cistern and that seems to be working fine.” These are the magic words because
they tell him I’m okay for water for the foreseeable, so the free house call
can wait while he attends to paying customers.
Now that we’re well into April and it seems to be the end of the rain, the
situation is somewhat more pressing, so he turns up. Apparently I need a new
float mechanism which he says he will come back with in two days. And he does.
Hurrah!
Why hurrah?
Because I need the well to water the garden properly.
So, back to
the garden.
First job of
the morning is shifting the two flowering-nicely, orphan raspberry plants from
their current location to the beds which will be covered by the frames.
Second job
of the day, prior to planting some seeds, is to give the main vegetable bed a thorough
soak. (An inspection has revealed that under the first, moist inch, the soil is
bone dry. So much for the extra rain we had last winter.) An hour later, the bed is ready and the
planting begins.
And here we
have it, folks: peas (regular and mange tout), and rows of carrots, beets,
spinach, lettuce and rocket.
And I still have more than an hour before I have to leave for rehearsal, so
I give the small bed (from whence the orphan raspberries have recently been
removed) the same soaking and plant some squash seeds.
All given
(for the first time, I now realise, in a long time) a fighting chance. Fingers
crossed.
No comments:
Post a Comment