The question
of paint versus stain has been duly debated and the answer seems to be stain.
Although some followers quite fancied the idea of brightly painted frames, WISE
woman Catherine made the best point.
“I
just finished staining a planter box we built. Here's why: stain will protect
the wood, to a degree, from wind, sun and snow and last for several years. It
won't crack, bubble or peel. So the question is: do you want bright, beautiful
colour and more work sanding, stripping and repainting in a couple of years? Or
natural looking wood, less work and more time for the swing, the book, the cats
and wine?”
Obviously
more time for the swing wins. Stella, when asked, totally agrees.
Quite a bit
of staining in my future, although possibly not in the next couple of days.
(After a week of summer-in-April, when I go outside to take this photo of Mr
Fixit’s latest delivery, there is a clap of thunder. As I write, rain has
started falling.)
Elsewhere in
the garden, the most exciting news so far is…
Regular
readers will, I’m sure, recall that three years ago Krys and I planted a dwarf
apple tree in the garden. It produced lots of blossom and one apple the first
year, lots of blossom and eight apples the second year (and there would have been many more apples if frigging Antler Boy hadn't got to it) and precisely zero blossom last year. So, yes, the
fact that there is once again lots of blossom on the apple tree is pretty
bloomin’ exciting. Will any of this blossom turn into actual apples? Time will
tell.
There is
also lots of blossom on the pear tree, added to the garden two years ago. This
is not quite as exciting as pear blossom has appeared in abundance every spring.
What has so far failed to appear on the tree is an actual pear. Fingers crossed
this might be the year.
Speaking of things blooming (or not, as the case may be), across the
road at Pat’s place – and all around the island – lilac trees are already
flowering. Alas, not so in my garden – neither the long-established,
flowered-once-only-for-Krys-three-years-ago tree nor the second tree I planted
two years ago which I was promised would
flower the following year and didn’t. Considering how much I love lilacs I consider this to be most unfair. Fortunately, Pat remains
very generous with his overabundance.

Plan to plant at least two varieties of pear trees because they need to be cross-pollinated to produce fruit. Make sure the varieties are compatible with each other.
ReplyDeleteIt's one of those spliced, multi-variety pear trees, so shouldn't require cross-pollination from another tree, should it? Or should it?
Delete