We’ll get to the sweet peas in a minute, but first, please note that I am going to try growing some catnip just to see how mad the cats go. And note also what the wildflowers packet says: Bee blend. I cannot wait to find out what these will be.
While I’m there I decide to pick up a sage plant
for the herb garden (in case Krys ever needs it for stuffing). Oh, and what’s
this, sitting by the cash register where I can’t miss it? A bag of purple
dahlias. Well, I think I’m going to have to get these too. The manager
recommends potting them at this point, rather than planting them in the ground.
No problem. If there’s one thing I’ve got, it’s plenty of pots.
Back home for an al fresco lunch and then down to
the garden.
First I dig along between the new bed and the
fence, mix some sea soil in and plant the sweet peas. If all goes according to
plan they will grow up the fence and will look – and smell – amazing.
Then I pull out my empty pots and start potting
the dahlias. When I tip the peat out of the last bag, this appears.
This thing bears absolutely no resemblance to a
dahlia tuber. What the hell could it be? (If you have any idea, please let me
know.) Well, waste not, want not. That’s what I say. And, I admit, I’m wildly
curious.
So, in a pot it goes and time alone will tell what
it might be. (Rest assured there will be progress reports.)
The actual dahlias are potted and now line up
nicely between the raspberry bed and the fence. I think I might just leave them
that way.
After all, as I’m sure you recall, the Star Gazer lilies (old photo) stay in their
pots year round and flower beautifully every summer. Why not the dahlias?
Short break for a fag and a cuppa, while I
consider what to do about the unsightly former raspberry bed. I know Cec will
get to me eventually, but meanwhile it’s a bit of an eyesore. What to do until
there’s a raised bed?
Wait a minute! I know exactly what to do!
Scattered around the garden there are pots of fuchsias, dwarf roses and bulbs.
I’ll move them all to one place. Much better. A pot for everything and
every pot in its (however temporary) place.
Time for a gin and tonic.
PS: Speaking of pot, a headline in the Globe and Mail caught my eye today: “Tories
sweeten pot for seniors”. As someone who is now in the sooner rather than way later countdown to retirement (how
the hell did that happen?), I was momentarily thrilled at the idea of CRAP
trying to bribe seniors with hash brownies. Alas, the headline actually
referred to changes in the laws about when you can and can’t cash in RRSPs
(ISAs, for UK folk). As if I’ll have any to worry about. I’d far rather have
the hash brownies. Although that’s probably more Justin Trudeau’s thing.

No comments:
Post a Comment