The question for today: Now that I have an area
filled with holes (can holes actually fill anything?) from transplanting the
berry bushes, what do I do with it?
The answer (possibly not immediately obvious from
the photo below) is dig a deeper hole, use up all garden bricks to outline it…
… add landscaping fabric, fill with sea soil.
The forecast is for rain tomorrow and I’d rather water
the garden with rain than well water, so I might as well get some squash (acorn, butternut and scaloppini) seeds in the
ground.
Hopefully these seeds will do better than the ones
I planted in my new mini-greenhouse back in early March.
So far all I’ve managed to grow in there is algae.
I would like to blame this on noxious fumes from the PVC covering, but I
suspect the culprit is me. Being new to this greenhouse game, the fact that one
actually needs to open up the front during the day to let some air in had
eluded me until I noticed the green slime. Oops. Oh, well.
After planting the squash seeds, I move over to
the main vegetable bed. Peas (both regular and mange tout) were planted at the
beginning of the month. Today I plant, from left to right (so I’ll remember
when they start coming up), lettuce, spinach, beets and carrots.
Rumour (the internet, so it must be true) has it
that rocket grows well with raspberries. As I now have these sea soil-filled
raspberry beds, I throw some rocket seeds in there. We shall see.
Now there’s the question of what to do with the
other former raspberry bed.
Last month Cec very kindly agreed to build me
another raised bed in this spot. Of course that was before he and Joyce decided
(hurrah!) to stay on the island. Now, if there are raised beds for Cec to build,
they are for Sandra Bullock. (Sorry, I meant to say Joyce.) Fair enough. Rome
wasn’t built in a day. I can wait.

No comments:
Post a Comment