Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Seeds of hope

Day 2: I’m in the garden and Krys is on a conference call in the house. I begin with this statement because I fear there may be some amongst you who suspect that the only reason any work is getting done in the garden is because Krys is doing it. She is not.

As far as the visuals go, this entry is going to be pretty bloody dull. But, as I’ve mentioned before, you asked for it.

The first hour or so is spent digging in new topsoil and compost in the existing raised beds. After this is completed, it’s time for a cup of tea. Then it’s time to plant some seeds.

Last year’s experiment, using bamboo sticks for the peas, began well,
but did not end well, when the peas outgrew the sticks.

So this year I have a better plan: nice tall wire circles for the peas to climb up.
The bamboo sticks work much better to mark the rows where the first rows of carrots and beets have been planted.

When I posted this as my new Facebook cover photo, Morag shared a hope I might update it when there are actually plants to be seen, and indeed I will. For now you will have to use your imagination.
Far left, back there will be some lettuce, front there will be some rocket (middle sections reserved for future plantings of same). Right section, new bed, spinach. Back section, left, old bed, baby scaloppini squash, right, acorn squash. Front section, left, nasturtiums for colour and edibility, right some herbs from last year (chives, mint and thyme).

An interesting discovery on a packet of cosmos seeds bought in the hope of having some extra colour in the summer: they like crap soil! So I scattered the whole packet in the rose bed. Fingers crossed.

Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment