Thursday, May 9, 2013

Law of physics?



Okay, I barely managed a passing grade in physics when I was in school. (The only thing I still remember, perhaps appropriately, is the law of inertia.) So I may have this wrong. Maybe it is actually possible for this thin little twig of a branch to support six apples. Then again, maybe not. Apparently there is no reason for concern. When I pose the question to Krys, she informs me: “Don't worry, most of the apples will fall off while still quite small and some of the blooms won't necessarily produce fruit.” Oh, good. (Or do I mean bad?) Hopefully the poor old bees will get a bit of a buzz out of the blossom. Suddenly find myself wondering what Isaac Newton would have to say about this.

Anyway, no sooner is this mystery semi-solved than another crops up.



Watering the garden, I see that it’s (nearly?) time to transplant some of the beets Krys potted. Excellent.



But what the hell is this? One of Krys’s other seed pots appears to be sprouting. (Unless it’s a weed, of course.) Unfortunately I’m having a hard time remembering what else she planted. Courgettes? Could this be a courgette? I’m pretty sure it’s unlikely to turn into mixed salad greens. Oh, well. Time will tell.



Elsewhere, strawberries are coming along nicely. And the first sign of peas are beginning to pop up through the ground. Excellent.



The garden shop has finally sounded the all clear on planting basil outside. As anyone who’s ever had a herb garden knows, for some reason slugs seem to prize basil above all other food. Last summer I finally came up with a solution to the problem. Try crawling down that wire to get to the basil, you slimy bastards. You can’t, can you? Ha!



Now, as long as that other, quite a bit larger pest stays away from the herbs, I’ll be happy. Yes, that’s right, Bambi. Lots of lovely undergrowth to chow down on. Please stick with that and everything will be fine.

PS

As Krys can attest, it’s not easy to score decent planters at the recycling depot on this gardening-mad island. Unless you happen to be leaving just as someone else is arriving with planters to donate and you can get to them first. Major score yesterday: two more window boxes and several decent pots. Now all I have to do is figure out what to put in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment