Saturday, May 30, 2015

Buzzing


A lovely, lazy afternoon spent stretched out in the garden swing with stellar Stella and a good book. (Her by Harriet Lane, ordered from the library months ago after reading a good review, only now arrived.)

This is one of the best times to be in the garden. The California lilac is in bloom and it is absolutely buzzing.


There are so many bees swarming around this plant it’s difficult to believe there are any bees anywhere else on the island. It’s also difficult to believe that fiveyears ago this was the size of the tree.


Eventually it gets too hot on the swing – first for Stella, then for me. So in I come to write a few lines about how tough life on Gabriola is.

I’m not sure how much bee-friendly bloom is likely from the California lilacs I’ve planted at the back of the house. Actually, I am sure: not much.

For one thing, the trees don’t get as much sun back here. I can live with that. For another (unfortunate) thing (goddamnit), it turns out California lilacs aren’t as deer resistant as I thought. No, deer won’t munch them down to the ground, as they do many things, but, as Donna Deacon has pointed out to me, they will nibble up all the new leafs (and therefore blooms). Gahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, the California lilac I planted in March…


… now looks like this…


Let’s hope that the parrot or the chicken wire (or both) will keep this clown away. 


Time to shift myself, my book and a gin and tonic to here.


Life is tough sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment