Sunday, July 14, 2013

Advantage, raised bed

Well, I have to say, it was very satisfying last Sunday morning to sit down with my very own strawberries (and raspberries) and cream to watch the Wimbledon Men’s Final. It was, however, nowhere near as satisfying as seeing Andy Murray win straight sets. (Sadly, eight hour time difference meant I missed the first set and there was no champagne.) Yay, Andy!

And yay, too, for the raised bed with decent soil! (And once again undying gratitude to Krys and Glenn for making it possible.)


The courgette is flowering!


There are beets!


Peas, peas, peas!

No sign of flowers on the squash yet, but I’m hoping it’s still early days.

Lest you think there are a few too many exclamation marks, let me remind you of the final score in 2010, when I first attempted to grow food in the garden:

Peas: 0
Beets: 0
Carrots: 0
Broccoli: 0
Courgettes: 0
Squash: 0
Cantaloupe: 0
Lettuce: 0
Rocket: 0
Red peppers: 1
Tomatoes: tons
Blackberries: tons (for which garden project can take no credit)

And allow me to also remind you about my garden guru cousin Peter’s verdict on the crapness of my soil. And then allow me the elation I am currently feeling.


Once again there will be tons of blackberries. Although, as noted in 2010 final score, I get no credit for this. The blackberry bush was here when we bought the house in 1996.


And once again there will be tons of (grow anywhere) tomatoes.

Oh, yes, all very satisfying indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment