Friday, June 28, 2013
Rain, rain go the fuck away
Honestly. It’s the end of June.
Does the courgette have any flowers on it yet? No.
What about the squash? No.
Okay, there are lots of flowers on the tomato plants, but is there yet any sight of an actual cherry tomato? No.
There is still only one apple on the tree. (Mind you, from what Jane’s said about these grafted apple trees, one would be a bit of a miracle.)
And the peas are only just starting to flower.
Could we have some sunshine, please????????????
So, wonderful women’s weekend last weekend. Turns out I can actually squeeze four chairs around the table on the deck and, although there was no sunshine, it didn’t actually rain on Friday or Saturday, so good news there. (And, hey, even if it had rained: Women’s weekend. Hurrah!)
At the beginning of last week I honestly thought I might have a few strawberries ripe enough to share with my guests. When I went to the garden on Friday morning to check, oh, guess what? Gone, gone, gone. I can’t blame the deer on this occasion, as they can’t get in the garden. So who’s the strawberry bandit? Birds? Squirrels? Bastards, whoever they are.
I check again this morning.
Oh, goodie! Look at all the lovely ripe strawberries. Eat my first two ripe raspberries (yum!) before starting to pick the strawberries.
What the fuck? Okay, photo’s a bit out of focus, but every single ripe strawberry has at least one small bite out of it. Bastards, bastards, bastards. Does this happen every year? I can’t remember. The strawberry plants used to be in pots, but Krys insisted I should replant them in the raised bed. Hmm. Maybe this is her fault. Nah. It’s the bloody squirrels. Decide, if I’m going to have any strawberries this year, I’m just going to have to cut off the nibbled end and share them. (Bastards.)
Lots and lots of blackberries coming along – and I know the squirrels won’t get at them. Hah! (Plus the bees just love the blackberry blossom and the ceanothus has finished flowering now.)
Oh, and PS: the well chomped, supposedly deer-resistant plants do seem to be staging a comeback.
Now if we could just get some sunshine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteRe: the apple tree - we have two apples happening this year, our tree's, what, 11th year? Both on the same branch. Many's the time it's been mooted that we just cutting that thing down and start over, but then, it's not its fault, poor thing. We have a disabled tree.
ReplyDelete