Monday, May 7, 2012

Seeding doubt

Okay, I’m a patient woman (yes, yes, ha bloody ha), but where are my lettuce? The seeds went in at least a fortnight ago and nary a lettuce in sight.

Where are my peas?
If you look really, really closely (does a magnifying glass work on a computer screen?) you might spot a few popping up. Of course, I’d completely forgotten – until Pat reminded me last weekend - that you’re supposed to soak them overnight before you plant the seeds. Oops. Soaked seeds went in yesterday which will probably soon overtake the others.

Is this rocket sprouting?
Between the photo being out of focus and the sprouting greenery being so very much smaller than the pine needles, rather hard to tell. Fingers crossed.

Humph. This growing food from seed lark does take a while, doesn’t it?

If all else fails (and, of course, this year nothing will fail) I can rely on a crop of cherry tomatoes.
Too early, of course, to plant the tomatoes, but at least the bed is ready.

A day on my knees weeding the bed with the never-yet-shown-any-inclination-to-actually-flower lilac tree and the rose bushes. The soil may be crap, but, my, oh, my, the weeds certainly thrive. Once all the weeds are gone I look at it and suddenly remember my original plan, all those years ago when I first fenced off this sunny corner. This area was going to have lots of roses. I’ve planted two bushes since I’ve been back (and nurtured the one which somehow survived). Time to get some more.
Manure dug in. Lime added. And two new rose bushes – a deep red and a pale pink. What’s that you say? Looks like there’s plenty of room for at least a couple more? How right you are.

More floral plans afoot.
This by way of a before picture. Nasturtium seeds planted in the beds surrounding the ceanothus and the camellia. Please note that nasturtium petals are edible in salads, so this also qualifies as food production. (And the packet says nasturtiums will thrive no matter how crap the soil is. Bonus.)

Elsewhere on the property…
The deer are taking a break from eating all my herbs. Apparently the branches of the freshly felled trees are tastier. (In addition to providing firewood next winter, the tree felling will provide more light at the back of the house – enough, one hopes, for clothes to actually dry on the line.)

No comments:

Post a Comment