Saturday, April 16, 2016

Do fence me in



Yes, yes, I know. Everyone has been wondering (all five of you) when the hell I was going to get the gardening blog going again. Well, here it is: the starter entry for 2016. 


First disappointment of the year is the discovery, when Irmani and I return to Gabriola from wanky Whistler, that the bamboo fence I erected last year to protect the wisteria from deer has collapsed in a wind storm. Crawl around the back to see if there is anything I can do about this. The answer is no. Not a chance. This requires Mr Fixit.

I ring Cec, explain my problem. He comes round to have a look. Bless him, he does not look at the fence, look at me and say, “What a stupid way to try to make a fence.” What he does say (and what I’ve already figured out) is that the only way this thing I have optimistically been referring to as a fence can actually be a fence is by hammering in at least two more fence posts at the back.

I go to Arbutus, purchase fence posts.

This morning Cec comes back with his scaffold, sledge hammer and a bag of plastic ties. We set to work. An hour later, not only is the fence repaired, but it is standing up a damn sight straighter than it was when I erected it last summer.


It is no longer likely that a slight breeze (or wisteria seeking Bambo) could knock it over again.

Despite all evidence to the contrary, I am not a complete mug, so I pick up a third fence post at Arbutus. I figure, if a very kind and helpful man with a sledge hammer is coming around to hammer in fence posts, I might was well get another post on the side of the garden where the wire is leaning so far forward (or back, depending on how I position it) a half way intelligent deer could actually probably step over it.


It may not be immediately obvious from this photo, but, yes, that is a new fence post in the middle.

What should be immediately obvious is that this bed has been dug over – and fertilised – and is now ready for peas and other seed. (In case you’re wondering, the rolled up chicken wire is an attempt to discourage Stella and Roxy from using the freshly dug earth as a giant litter box.)

More anon. No, really.

3 comments:

  1. Mariam and I have been excited to discover that the bulbs we put in last fall are actually coming up. (We put down chicken wire for the first time this year, against cats and squirrels, too - we don't have Bambo but the bastard squirrels more than make up for that. Chicken wire seems to have worked!) The grass is however NOT coming up. So we have to re-seed again, and again, and again...and try to keep the dogs off the grass while it starts. So annoying. We were discussing the keeping of urban bees this afternoon. Probably not a good prospect for that, though - such a small yard, not much sun.

    You ever think of keeping bees?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why it says I'm unknown. I'm signed in as Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why it says Unknown either, but I guessed who you were as soon as I read "Mariam and I".

      As bee-friendly as I attempt to make my garden, I figure I should leave the actual keeping of bees to those less likely to screw it up.

      Delete