Today it is Roxie who is keen to help out in the
garden.
We begin with a general inspection. What’s this I
see?
Oh, my goodness. One day after transplanting the raspberries to better soil, one of
them is starting to flower! (Okay, okay, yes, it might have started to flower
today anyway, but a woman can dream can’t she?)
And what’s this?
A flower on the California lilac (formerly known
as the Ceanothus) already? With absolutely no buds anywhere else? How can this
be? Or is this one flower actually left over from last year? How can that be? Around the garden there are
bees already buzzing. None are interested in this one flower. All are hopefully
poking around in the tulips and hyacinths, destined to be disappointed. (Note
to self: identify and plant an early flowering and bee-friendly shrub.)
This morning’s job is weeding the rose garden.
Then it’s time (finally – I dug the hole last summer) to get the already
budding clematis out of its pot and into the ground.
Then it’s time for my first al fresco lunch.
Life can be tough on Gabriola.
On my way back to the garden after lunch, I empty
the compost bag into the wormery.
It’s been a while, so I decide to check the lower
tray.
Hurrah! A tray full of lovely, smelly,
nutrient-rich composted soil. (Note to self: remember to crush egg shells
before adding and forget about avocado pits – the worms will never break them
down.)
I should, of course, dig this into the vegetable
patch or add to the various berry beds. Do I do this? No, I don’t.
The first few fistfuls are packed around the roots
of the lilac tree in the hope that this might encourage it to blossom without
Krys here. Then I spread composted soil around the roots of all the rose
bushes, hoping for a bumper crop of blooms this summer.
Only after fortifying the roses do my thoughts
turn to fruit. The apple and pear trees get a dose, as do the two dwarf
blueberry bushes.
I mean, let’s face it, if it comes to a choice
between food and flowers, it’s no contest, right? As Wallis Simpson once more
or less said, “You can never be too thin or have too many roses.”
No comments:
Post a Comment