It’s transplant day and Stella is as keen as I am
to get working in the garden today.
Krys’s visit last month inspired a trip to Wheelbarrow and the purchase of the California lilac (finally planted yesterday) and another dwarf blueberry bush (planted the day after purchase beside a previously transplanted cousin.
Three weeks later, I’m pleased to see that the transplanted
bush now has almost as many leafs as the new one.
While she was here, I started transplanting,
shifting into better soil (and light) two black currants, the gooseberry bush
and the two taller blueberry plants. All of which appear to be doing well.
Today it’s time to dig out my first lame effort at
a raised bed, fill it with sea soil and shift the raspberries.
A sunnier spot, better soil… Who knows how many
berries I’ll get this summer? More I hope than last year when the frigging
fauna fought me for the flora. First there was the Bambo invasion, then, when
the berries were ripening nicely, it was
Although I’ve never had to do so in the past,
clearly this year I’m going to need some netting.
As I am thinking this, Jamie and his son Andrew
appear, hauling the rubbish and green bins to the end of Jamie’s long drive.
When I mention netting, Jamie warns me that I need to ensure I have the right
mesh. If the holes are too big, the birds get in anyway, trap themselves and do
nothing except eat berries until you set them free. Good point. He tells me his
broad beans have already sprouted and I poke my tongue at him. All very well
for those with sheltered, south facing gardens. Grr.
Elsewhere, in non-berry related news, the pear
tree seems to have bounced back from its Bambo munching.
Difficult, I know, to tell from the photo, but a
new, very robust shoot has grown up from the roots. No idea which of the four
grafted pear varieties it will turn out to be.
When Krys and I went to Wheelbarrow last month, I
mentioned my concern that the grafted apple tree was showing no sign of
producing any leafs (unlike the pear, which was already doing well). The owner
and I went to look at some of the ones for sale in the back and I was relieved
to see none were doing any better than mine.
Happily it is now turning green. (Again, I
realise, difficult to tell from the photo, so you’ll have to trust me.) It will
be interesting to see, after one apple the first summer and eight the second,
how many apples I will see this year.

No comments:
Post a Comment