Friday, May 2, 2014

You asked for it

Okay, I’ve already had Irmani and Krys bugging me to get the blog going again.

And, now that Krys has departed
in her private floatplane
from Gabriola International Airport,
I guess have no excuse.

This entry is by way of a filler until I have a chance to download and resize other photos. So, let’s start with a recap of last year’s Gabriola garden adventures.

I came back from three weeks in London and Amsterdam to discover that, in my absence, cat-sitting Krys and her clever hubby Glenn had built me a raised bed.


And filled it with quality top soil.

Lesson Number One from last year: As I suspected, you can actually grow food crops if your soil isn’t completely crap. I had beets and peas and so many courgettes I had to give half of them away.


Lesson Number Two: Just because a grafted apple tree can, in theory, produce eight varieties of apples and just because it produces a huge amount of blossom, doesn’t mean it will actually produce more than one apple.


Lesson Number Three: Even with quality soil, the growing season is simply too short for butternut squash – especially if, as is often the case, we go from a lovely May to a frigid Juneuary.


Clearly the solution is a greenhouse. Unfortunately, I have nowhere to put one and no money to buy one. So, I’m going to have to give up on large squash.

This year is, of course, going to be better than ever. The hapless gardener has made a great start – as will soon be revealed. So, watch this space. And remember where we started.

No comments:

Post a Comment