When I woke up Sunday morning there was a strange, yellowish red light in the house. I’ve never seen anything like it before. Went outside and looked at the sky. Just an overcast day. What was with the light?
It wasn’t
until I talked to a friend on the phone later that the penny dropped: the sun wasn’t
being blocked by clouds, it was being blocked by smoke from the forest fires
burning on Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast. (As of today, there are 185
forest fires burning throughout British Columbia, many in the coastal
rainforest where fires are seldom seen.)
People are
understandably worried and an emergency meeting is called at the Community Hall
that evening. Driving my neighbour Jamie down to the south end for the meeting,
neither of us can believe how bad the smoke is. You can’t see Vancouver Island.
You can’t even see Mudge. No wonder people are freaking out.
What comes
out of the meeting? Well, we all need to pack an emergency getaway bag in case
of evacuation (so far I haven’t) and, if the emergency is a major earthquake,
rather than a localised fire, we’re pretty much fucked. Okay.
Yes, it’s
dry. Bordering on California drought dry. Sprinkler bans in Vancouver and other
cities, with special hot lines set up to snitch on sprinkling neighbours.
Total ban on campfires throughout the province. (When some total wanker
neighbours of mine set off fireworks in the wee small hours of July 4, the
Gabriola Facebook page erupted with talk of vigilante justice.)
Here’s how
the growing season used to work on Gabriola: Plant in April, sun in May to get
things going, rain in Juneuary to get
the soil properly moist, sun back in July (if we were lucky) and August.
Last summer
there was one day of rain (if you could call it that) between the beginning of
May and the end of September.
This year
there has been one day with rain (if you can call it that) since the beginning
of April.
I am already
harvesting cherry tomatoes. The last time I was harvesting tomatoes in early
July was in Walthamstow in the heatwave summer of 2006 when hundreds of elderly
people in southern Europe died. It’s crazy.
It’s been too hot to grow peas.
Look at
these poor stunted little things. And believe me, this isn’t just my garden.
(Of course it didn’t help that these peas were my third attempt, after the
fucking birds gobbled up the first two plantings before they could sprout.)
And here’s
the dilemma: If I water the garden as much as I should, will my well run dry? Maybe
yes, maybe no. The well did run dry some summers ago and was subsequently
deepened. It’s probably okay, but am
I prepared to take the chance? I can’t afford the cost of repairs if the well
did run dry. Nor can I afford to have the cistern filled until such time as it
starts raining again. (There was so little rain last winter that the cistern
was far from filled.)
So, no, I’m
not prepared to take the chance. I’ll keep watering the fruit trees and the
berry beds and the tomatoes and the container-planted squash (and, yes, the
roses), but I’m officially giving up on the peas.
Yesterday I
pulled up the stunted beets and carrots. (At least the beet leafs were nice in
a salad last night. )
Fingers
crossed.



No comments:
Post a Comment