Back to Arbutus, figuring, what the hell, a black bench will be fine. Go through all the cans of marine paint and what do I find, lurking at the back, but a dented tin that says it is “mid blue”. Mid blue. Hmm. I like blue. That should be okay. Get a discount, because the tin is dented and head back home.
I open the tin. Mid blue, eh? I wouldn’t exactly call this colour mid blue. I would call this colour turquoise. And a fantastic turquoise at that.
Oh, my god, doesn’t it look beautiful?
It brightens up the whole garden. I’m in love.
But wait, there’s more. Pat’s friend Francesco has asked him if he has any use for a couple of cushions they’re planning to give to GIRO. Pat thinks they might fit the bench, so he takes them.
They do fit the bench and take it into a whole new garden furniture league. Unfortunately the fabric on the cushions doesn’t really go with wonderful new colour of the bench.
A trip to GIRO to drop off bottles and cans. A search in the clothes and bedding shop there. What’s this I see, folded up in the bottom of a large basket of sheets? A single fitted sheet which, if it’s wide enough will be absolutely perfect with the new bench. (Bizarrely, you never seem to find a set of sheets and pillowcases at GIRO. They’re always odd ones, often in perfect condition. Does make one wonder.) I fork out a dollar for this and head home.
It does fit. Hurrah! Finally something going completely right in this project.
And, Pat and I discover when we later toast the bench with a cold one, it is exceedingly comfortable. Sod the vegetables. Oh, I’ll keep the tomatoes and pumpkin and squash going and enjoy the fruits of my labours when the time comes, but this is no longer a produce producing project. This is now my summer reading room.
No comments:
Post a Comment