Yesterday I had leafy wisteria
and clematis vines entwined in the back fence of the garden. Even though the
clematis failed to flower this year (apparently this is not uncommon when
clematises – clemati? – are replanted), the leafy vines spreading across the
fence did look quite pretty.
This morning when I
went down to water the garden, there were no leaves left on the vines of either
plant.
A quick look around
the rest of the garden reassures me that he didn’t get into the garden itself,
merely managed to squeeze in between the trees and the fence. Bastard, bastard,
bastard.
Elsewhere, in long
overdue garden news…
The spaghetti squash
plant, despite a profusion of flowers, has produced one squash. The baby watermelon plant, despite a profusion of
flowers, has produced one baby
watermelon.
Disappointing
realisation that all the squash seeds I planted that actually sprouted are
scallopinis. Which is fine, I suppose, except I really did want more acorn
squash this summer and it’s now too late to do anything about it. Oh, well.
The courgette plant,
which wasn’t looking too promising, is now producing at a decent clip.
(Recently made my first batch of Becky’s excellent courgette
and gorgonzola soup.)
One nice surprise: For
the first time since I planted it two or three years ago, the pink gooseberry
bush has produced fruit this year.
Hardly enough for the
gooseberry fool I was dreaming of when I planted it, but tasty nonetheless.
The cherry tomatoes
are still producing an abundance of fruit.
Given the tastiness of
the yellow cherry tomatoes I planted last summer (after fucking Bambo ate all
the red ones), I decided to plant another one this year. This is it.
You can’t fool me. Not
only are these tomatoes not yellow,
they are three times the size of the cherry tomatoes. (Tasty, admittedly, but
not what I thought I was buying at the market back in May.
Like the ridiculously
early raspberries,
the blackberries are ridiculously early this year.
Started picking them
in mid-July and genuinely cannot keep up. This would be a good year to make jam
– if I was a jam maker, but I’m not.
Even sharing them with Pat, there is an overabundance. I’ve already frozen
about two pounds of them. (Good to know I may not have to buy any frozen
berries for my cereal over the winter.)
Another nice surprise
in “the back 40”. When it occurred to me a couple of months ago that deer do
not eat rhododendrons, I decided to plant a couple in the back. Assumed at the
time that they were well past flowering time, but look!
One of them is
flowering now. And very pretty the flowers are.
I’m pleased to report
that, touch wood (short pause for me to touch both the desk and my head), the
well is still holding up. (Or should I say filling up?) An ongoing worry nonetheless.
Apologies that the
updates have been so few and far between, but what can I say? I’d rather be in the garden on the swing with Stella
and a good book than in the house writing about the garden at my desk.


No comments:
Post a Comment