Monday, August 2, 2010

My first crops!

Included in tonight’s dinner salad, we have my first cherry tomatoes – two each. They are absolutely delicious.



Lots more coming on various bushes, although I may have to give Pat carte blanche to eat many of them, as we are off to Vancouver again this week – 10 days, during which my belongings will arrive from London and the place will be properly transformed.

Elsewhere, sadly, things do not progress as well.


Although another tiny pumpkin appears to be forming on the pumpkin plant, the first one seems to be rotting before my eyes. Sigh.



There also appear to be more red peppers sprouting, but the first one hasn’t grown in over a week and is still very much a green pepper. (But the bench looks nice, doesn’t it?)

Like the pepper, the rocket has stopped growing long before it might be harvestable and the lettuce is disappearing without ever bearing any real resemblance to salad veg.

So, to recap: I have failed, in my crap soil (actually, a bit of crap in it would have helped immeasurably) to grow carrots, peas, beets, lettuce, broccoli or cantaloupe. (Scratch the last one. The cantaloupe never even seeded in the pot, let alone made it into the crap soil.) If it weren’t for the two well advanced tomato plants I bought in desperation and planted in the grow nothing soil, I wouldn’t be able to bear looking at the so-called vegetable plot. Next year, next year…

In non-gardening related news, I’m taking prisoners two at a time in the mouse population of my downstairs room. Having failed completely to find any humane, catch-and-release mousetraps on Gabriola (the guys in Arbutus did actually laugh when I asked), I’ve been to Nanaimo to buy some. The instructions recommend peanut butter as bait, but I know what these suckers want: dry cat food. Bait works a treat and every morning I get to carry the traps (wish I’d bought more than two, ’cos I know there are more of them) across the road to dump the mice in the woods. Just hope the bastards aren’t following me straight back. They all look the same to me, so for all I know I could just be catching and releasing the two same stupid ones while the others run around all night laughing at them.

2 comments:

  1. When we had a mouse problem on Keats, we were told you have to take your mice at least a mile away, because they have a very strong homing instinct. You may well be catching the self-same two little bastards every night... If you can find where they're getting in, stuff the hole(s) with steel wool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. perhaps you should get a red marker and mark them next time so you know! Or maybe start keping them as pets...??
    ;o)

    ReplyDelete